February 14, 2010

Visualizing songs

There is a song playing on KLove in Phoenix for a while now, performed by Matt Maher, written by him and David Jason Ingram that I really love. Here are the words:


I woke up in darkness surrounded by silence
Oh where have I gone?
I woke to reality losing its grip on me
Oh where, where have I gone?


'Cause I can see the light before I see the sunrise


Chorus: You called and You shouted
Broke through my deafness
Now I'm breathing in, breathing out
I'm alive again
You shattered my darkness
Washed away my blindness
Now I'm breathing in, breathing out
I'm alive again


Late have I loved you
You waited for me
I searched for you.
What took me so long?


I was looking outside
As if love would ever want to hide.
I'm finding I was wrong


'Cause I can feel the wind before it hits my skin.


Chorus


Bridge: 'Cause I want you yes I want you, I need you
And I'll do whatever I have to just to get through
'Cause I love you, yes I love you!


Chorus


When I first heard the chorus, I suddenly pictured Lazarus lying in the tomb, hearing Jesus' voice and taking his first breath since being raised from death. Would it be a deep, gasping breath, like the kind that Wesley and Buttercup took when they emerged from the lightning sand or the kind of quick breath you take when you suddenly realize that you have been holding your breath for too long. Or would it be more like the first deep breath you take in the morning while you are stretching after having a really good night of sleep with vivid, peaceful dreams? Would he have had fleeting visions of life after death still hovering in his mind as he awoke. Would he be experiencing the stifling, smelly grave or feeling the breeze and the sweet scent from the Holy Spirit breathing life back into him? Would he be wondering "Where am I and why can't I move very easily? Regardless of his first impressions, I am pretty sure that he was never the same man before he died and was buried. How could he be? How could anyone let him forget that he was once dead and that his friend, Jesus, the Messiah, brought him back to life?


Then I wonder if he was present during Jesus' crucifixion, if he actually witnessed his friend dying. It was a high, holy festival, a time when most Jews would have traveled to Jerusalem. However, according to John 12:10, the Jewish leaders were out to kill Lazarus because so many people believed in Jesus because of his resurrection. So maybe he decided to stay home. However, if he was there, how much he must have suffered seeing the One who healed him from death dying on the cross or dead in the grave. Would he have had any clue that his resurrection would be a foreshadowing of the glorious resurrection of the Messiah, the Redeemer? Or would he have been one of the most hopeless of Jesus' followers? And then, of course, there would have been the inexpressible joy and awe at seeing his friend, his Lord and Savior alive again.


Every Christian, the moment they put their faith in Jesus Christ as the only way they can be made right with God has a Lazarus moment. They see the light, they feel the touch of the Holy Spirit breathing new life into their sin-deadened body. It is what I experienced when I first prayed "The Sinner's Prayer" when I was 12 years old. I experienced it again when I returned to God after a time of turning my back on Him because I was mistaking His people for my only counselors rather than Him as my Wonderful Counselor. The second time was even more overwhelming than the first because I felt as if I had betrayed God and yet, out of the bounty of His great love, he welcomed me back with open arms as the prodigal daughter.


Interesting how a two minute song can bring all that up. By the way, I looked up the name "Lazarus" to see what it meant. It means "my God has helped." Praise God!

No comments: