December 27, 2008

Tribute to my mom

Today, I was involved in praying for a woman who had just lost her mom rather unexpectedly, even though her mom was at an advanced age. While we were praying, she confessed that she had always looked down on her mother because her mother hadn't seemed to accomplish anything "important" in her life. However, at the funeral, based on all the compliments people gave her about how her mom had helped them, she realized that her mother had chosen "the most excellent way" and that she had a quietly helped people without trying to get the glory for helping them. I echoed her confession and realized that, for too long, I have also not given my mom the praise that is due her.

My mom has demonstrated that even though hugs can't solve the problem, they make you feel good enough to face the problem. At one place where she worked, she was known as "the hug lady" and it was meant as a compliment. She may not be able to solve word problems, but she has an intuitive or maybe an emotional intelligence that allows her to solve life problems. She has a sunny smile and is quick to laugh and quick to cry. I always knew where I stood with her because she either is unable to hide her feelings or unwilling.

Above all, my mom has a servant's heart. Now that might not sound glamorous or glorious, but I know that in Jesus' eyes, the One who came down 2000+ years ago to serve mankind, that is high praise indeed. Being a servant is much more than just putting others needs above your own. It sometimes means shutting your mouth when you want to defend yourself. It means letting others take the spotlight when you have done the work. In her case, it also means picking a husband on the basis of how good a father he will be to her daughter as well as how he treats her. She isn't necessarily the perfect servant, but she is perfectly wonderful.

Proverbs 31: 25-29 describes her well:
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
"Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."

Thanks to my blessed mom! I love you.

No comments: