February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

My son, John, at the ripe old age of almost six, has already decided who he is going to marry. She is a neighborhood girl we will call "Julia." A month ago, when I asked him who he wanted to play with, he said, "Julia. I wuv Juwia and want to mawwy her." That is good enough reason, I suppose. In setting up the playdate, I told Julia's mom about his intentions. She laughed and said that we should start planning the ceremony for right after they graduate from college. They are in the same Sunday school class and they both like Tae Kwon Do, though she is a level above him, so that if he tried anything, she could kick his butt :-).

To prepare him for his playdate, I told him that Julia might want to play with Barbies at some point and that he might need to play with her and then let her play legos. The girls assured him that she had a Ken doll so that he wouldn't have to play with girl dolls and he was okay with that. I had visions of Ken shooting Barbie or fighting bad guys to protect her. After the playdate, the mom told me that John and Julia played well together and that he had a really funny response when he asked her to play legos with him. Julia told him that she would be right there and John replied, "Okay, but if you don't come soon your Barbies are going to DIE!!!!!" "I'm coming, I'm coming, she replied and hurried off to the lego room. Julia has two older brothers with a lego collection that rivals ours. Fortunately, she also likes to play with legos.

Today, when we were in the car, Jessi reminded everyone that it was Valentine's Day, a holiday that largely gets ignored in the Overtoom house because we have a better day to celebrate: February 25th was the day Eric and I decided to pursue a relationship. John replied, "When I am with Julia, love overwhelms my heart. That is why I want to marry her." Hearing that come from a not-quite six year old is both precious and funny. It also makes me wonder if some daughter is stashing romance novels and reading them to him. I can't think of any books that he reads or any movies that he has watched that involve romance other than the recently released "Tangled" and "Ella Enchanted." And there is no gushing about love overwhelming them in those movies. It is also interesting that a little boy is occasionally inserting love and romance amid the shooting noises, explosions, and lego creations.

All I know is that I need to treasure these precious sayings in my heart.

1 comment:

Jane Hoppe said...

Glad you shared this story; it is pretty precious.